Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What is your advantage?

What is your advantage?

 

A few years ago, I was introduced to someone in a family event. We discussed a lot of things of common interest. He narrated the following interesting event that touched his heart:

 

I learnt a great lesson from my ten year old daughter, Sarah. She was born with a muscle missing in her foot and wears a brace all the time. She came home one beautiful spring day and told me that she had participated in a sports day in her school – with lots of races and other competitive events. My mind raced as I tried to think of encouragement for my daughter. Things I could say to her so that she does not feel bad about not being able to compete properly. Before I could think of and utter encouraging words, she said "Baba, I won two of the races!" I could not believe my ears! And she continued, "because I had an advantage" I thought to myself, Oh! I knew it. She must have been given a head start - a physical advantage. And again, before I could say anything, she said, "Baba, I didn't get a head start. My advantage was that I had to try a little harder!"

 

I am sure you would agree that was a great paradigm, was it not? For a ten year old, the advantage was to “try a little harder to get to the finishing line”. Many people compete in the race that this life offers and they want to win it. However, interestingly they never assess their “advantages”. Consequently majority of them leave the race in the middle. They curse others, or the situation, or the events happening around them or if they can not find anything else their fate. Do you think they make a fair assessment?

 

Wanting to win a race is one thing and trying harder is another. Wanting a victory without hard work and effort is like having a pleasant dream.

 

Conversely working very hard without knowing what finish line we want to reach is like waking up after a nightmare. Or reaching the top of the ladder to find that the ladder is leaning against the “wrong wall”!

 

The biographies and autobiographies of great people can help us understand this paradigm in full. They demonstrated the importance of having clear visions, followed by hard work while utilizing the advantages God gave to them.

 

If they can do it, we can do it too! Let’s discover the advantage we are blessed with and align this advantage with our visions to propel ourselves to achieve our visions.

 

To your success,

 

Yameenuddin Ahmed

Senior consultant & Trainer

Timelenders UAE/Pakistan

 

http://blogs.timelenders.com/?p=8

No comments:

Post a Comment